textonly version coming soon

Logo: Letters E and D forming a heart shape.

Together, we are stronger...


working together

friends & families

help available

notice board


contact us



but I need your help!

disability act 2005

DOWNLOAD PDF document 164 KB

Entitlements for people with disability

DOWNLOAD PDF document 164 KB


If you do not already have the Adobe Acrobat
Reader Plugin installed, you will need to
download it in order to view or print this Charter.
Click on the link below to download the FREE plugin.

Adobe Acrobat Reader

Disability Allowance


Eating disorder sufferers are sometimes entitled to disability allowance due to their physical and psychological condition. Don't feel stigmatised by the word 'disabled'.

Sufferers are most sensitive people and on their journey to recovery they need financial support, which they are entitled to.

When you make an application you will be more than likely refused the first time, so appeal it! Never accept a no!
Always get letters ( medical reports ) from your GP and therapist. Learn about ED and its medical complications as much as you can yourself, this will strengthen your position immensely towards officials within the HSE.

You must undergo a medical test in order to qualify for disability allowance. This medical test can be very traumatic for sufferers. Parents have the right to intervene if necessary.
Unfortunately eating disorders are still seen as an eating problem, and sufferers who bring

" enough " kg's onto the weighing scale are classified as: " there is nothing wrong with you ".
This is still a common procedure by health board doctors, they still use bodyweight as an indicator of a sufferer's emotional distress.
And remember make notes every time you are dealing with the HSE. Send every letter with registered post, letters can get lost very easily.

By making an application you may experience a lot of frustration and disappointment, but if you are persistent, you will get there in the end!

There are understanding and helpful people working within the HSE

Always remember You have rights, and the disability allowance is one of those rights.

The financial burden during the journey to recovery can be sometimes a very difficult one to deal with.
If you have any further questions please contact us



Official guidelines :

source : www.comhairle.ie

Disability Allowance

This is a long-term means tested payment made to people with a disability where the disability is expected to last at least a year.
Who qualifies:
You may be entitled to this if you are aged between 16 and 66, satisfy both a means and a habitual residency test, and have a specified disability which results in your being ‘substantially handicapped’ in undertaking work which would otherwise be suitable for a person of your age, experience, and qualifications. A specified disability is an injury, disease, congenital deformity or physical or mental illness or defect, which has continued or may reasonably be expected to continue for at least one year. Your means and that of your spouse/partner are taken into account. Your parents’ means are not considered.

You are entitled to a Free Travel Pass and may qualify for a Companion Free Travel Pass if you are unfit to travel alone.  You can earn €120 per week from rehabilitative type work without it affecting your Disability Allowance.  Before you start work you must get approval from the Department of Social and Family Affairs.

Application forms (DA 1) are available from your local Social Welfare Office or from the Disability Allowance Section of the Department of Social and Family Affairs.

Disability Allowance is payable up to age 66 as long as you satisfy the medical and means conditions. Two personal rates of Disability Allowance are paid to a couple where each is eligible for the allowance. Recipients of Disability Allowance whose spouse/partner is in receipt of another social welfare payment may receive the full personal rate of Disability Allowance, if they have no other means.
If you become a long-stay patient in hospital or in residential care you retain your existing payment. You continue to be paid the full rate if you are in part-time residential care. You may qualify for Living Alone Allowance, Free Travel and Benefits in Kind. From June 2005 if you are resident in an institution and you are not eligible for a social welfare payment you may qualify for a new Disability Allowance payment of €35.00 per week.
Rehabilitative Work:
You can earn €120 per week from rehabilitative type work without it affecting your Disability Allowance. You must get approval from the Department of Social and Family Affairs before you start work. If you have been getting Disability Allowance for at least 15 months (12 months if aged 50 or over) and you return to the workforce you may be eligible for the Back to Work Allowance – see section on employment for further details. When you have been on Disability Allowance for at least six months you may be eligible for the Back to Education Allowance (12 months for third level courses from September 2005).

Payment                   Maximum Weekly Rates, €


Claimant       Qualified       Child

Adult              Dependant


Disability Allowance (DA)

165·80            110·00                        16·80

How to apply:
Complete application form (DA 1) available from post offices, your local Social Welfare Office or
Disability Allowance Section and send it to :

Social Welfare Services Office,
Government Buildings,
Ballinalee Road,

Tel: (043) 45211 or (01) 704 3000


Further information and application forms are available from the following:

Department of Social and Family Affairs

Website: www.welfare.ie






home | working together | friends & families | help available | notice board | experiences | contact us

© Copyright E.D. Contact, Ireland 2005.   Website by Rewind Design